What is FSSAI?
FSSAI, full form Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, is the food regulatory body of India. FSSAI looks after the safe production, manufacture, as well as, safe handling of food products. FSSAI was established in August 2011 under the provisions of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 in conjunction with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, as well as the Central government. FSSAI is an autonomous body corporate and it is in charge of protecting and promoting Public health through various regulations and supervision of food safety. FSSAI offices have been set up all across the country for the Food Business Operators (FBO’s) to acquire the food licence.
In order to certify the compliance with food safety procedures, FSSAI issues a food license to compliant FBO’s. The FSSAI registration thus becomes mandatory compliance for FBO’s in order to ensure safe, and smooth operations of the food business. The standards to be maintained by Food Business Operator’s by FSSAI in order to acquire the food licensing have been backed by scientific facts. Acquiring the FSSAI food license helps the government, as well as the consumers, feel assured that the regulation of the storage, production, distribution and the sales has been carried out in a way that the food products are fit for consumption.
What is a Food License exactly ?
In order to make sure that food businesses are compliant with the regulations of the food safety department, FSSAI issues a license called the FSSAI License or the FSSAI Certificate. Basically, the FSSAI registration is a 14-digit registration number which is imprinted on the food products or displayed in the shop/store of the food Business along with the FSSAI logo. Here’s an example of the FSSAI Logo and license number engraved on a product.
The Food License registration has become extremely important for businesses. So much so, that food aggregator and delivery mobile apps for apps like Swiggy, Zomato, FSSAI license should be displayed on their platform along with the hygiene rating of the restaurants.
Therefore, it can be stressed enough that acquiring the FSSAI food license should be a top priority for any food business operator looking to ensure a smooth functioning of operation within their business. The FSSAI certificate is one compliance area where no compromises should be made from the side of the business owner
FSSAI Certificate Eligibility Rules
The food safety certificate issued by the food and safety department is of varying kinds and it depends upon the scale of operation of the concerned Food Business Operator. Depending upon the turnover of the food operator the FSSAI registration has been divided into three different types :
- Basic FSSAI Registration
- State FSSAI License
- Central FSSAI License
It can be confusing for Food Business Operator to correctly determine which type of registration to go for. therefore, we discuss the eligibility of the various kinds food licence and which your business should go for.
FSSAI Basic Eligibility
The FSSAI basic registration applies to all those FBOs involved with activities like storage, sales, distribution , repacking and labelling and whose annual turnover is ₹ 12 lakhs or less.
FSSAI State License Eligibility
FBOs with the following activities of business can apply for State FSSAI certificate:
- Restaurants and Hotels
- Meat Processing and Slaughtering Units
- Proprietary Foods
- Food Processing Units inclusive of Corresponding retailers and repackers
- Vegetable Oil Processing Units as well as Production Units
- Dairy Units including Milk Chilling Units
FSSAI Central License Eligibility
The Central FSSAI License is the biggest installment of the food license that you can acquire for your business. Here are the FBOs who become eligible for this central license
- 5 Star Hotels and above
- All Food Businesses inclusive of retailers, distributors, suppliers, and caterers mentioned for state license could apply for central license if their operations are at larger scale.(~ ₹20 crore or more)
- Restaurants/ Food processing and handling chains with multipe branches across various states have to obtain the Central FSSAI license for the main branch/head office
- 100 % export oriented food processing/production units
- Food processing units, relabellers, and repackers who are processing more than 2 Metric Tonnes per day excluding grains, cereals, and pulse milling units
- Refrigerated storages holding a capacity of 10,000 Metric Tonnes or more
- Wholesalers with their annual turnovers amounting to Rs. 30 Crores or more
- Food Catering services located at airports as well as seaports
In addition to this, there is a policy which lays down the foundation for the eligibility rules for the food license according to the annual turnover of the business.
|Upto ₹12 Lakhs||Registration FORM A|
|₹12 lakhs– ₹20 Crores||State License FORM B|
|Exceeding ₹20 Crores||Central License FORM B|
Benefits of FSSAI Registration
- It makes the consumer be more alert and informative regarding the quality of the food which they eat.
- It helps in removing multiple regulations.
- Provides Logo for the that enhance the brand image of the product.
- The FSSAI food license helps you to establish your reputation and also qualification to grow your business in a new direction.
- FSSAI registration makes it easier to get bank loans and for funding which is required for expansion.
Documents required for FSSAI registration
- Photo Identity of Promoters of the Food Business
- Evidence of possession of premises (Rental Agreement / Utility Bill)
- Partnership Deed /Memorandum of Association/ Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association
- A list of Manufacture food products or processed or stored
- Food safety management system plan
- Signed and Completed Form-B
Procedure for FSSAI Registration
- Initially, Form A has to be submitted to the food and safety department.
- Your application may be selected or rejected by the department within 15 days from the application date.
- The final approval or the issuance of license may that 1-6 months based on department processing or application availability
- If the application is accepted, you will be granted a registration certificate along with the registration number and photo by the department.
- Now, every FBO must prominently display the FSSAI registration at the place of business during the working hours.
FSSAI License Renewal
Consequences of Non-renewal of FSSAI License
The FSSAI online registration of the food business is mandatory for compliance with the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. FSSAI has requested that all FBOs should apply for renewal within 30 days before the current license expires.
If in case, the application for the renewal of the license isn’t submitted within the stipulated time, the Food Business is charged a penalty of ₹100 per day that they fail to apply for the same. In addition to this, FSSAI might also decide to deem the license as expired and FBO might have to apply for a fresh license. Not only does this tarnish your reputation as a Food Business in the eyes of the law, but it will also cost your business much more to apply for a new license as compared to filing for renewal.
Frequently Asked Questions
The eligibility for a particular type of FSSAI license depends upon the Annual turnover of the Food Business
FSSAI Basic Registration: For Food Businesses with an Annual turnover of up to ₹12 lakh
FSSAI State License: Food Businesses with an annual turnover between ₹ 12lakh to ₹ 20 crores
FSSAI Central License: FBOs with an annual turnover in excess of ₹ 20 crores
Here, at FSSAI Food license we are committed to providing you with all kind of licenses. Get in touch with now with our swift and smooth FSSAI registration procedure at minimal cost.
Empowers producers to innovate and keep their standards of food and its quality above par consistently
Helps establish one governing regulation for your products and avoid the hassle of multiple other regulations.
Empowers organizations with the power to free-flowing trade at mass without compromising consumer safety.
FSSAI licensing also assures consumers that food dispensed to them is free from adulterants and is not sub-standard.
Not Applicable/ Not Observed (NA)